Transportation to the Start
The start of the ING New York City Marathon is one of the greatest thrills in all of running! Getting to the start, on Staten Island at the foot of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, requires a bit of planning. We strongly recommend that entrants take official ING New York City Marathon transportation to the start. Your options are outlined below. Transportation options tend to fill quickly, so be sure to sign up early!
Official transportation selection will be available to entrants starting in early June (exact date TBD). Runners will select their transportation through My NYRR. The deadline for selecting transportation is July 31.
Please note: Official transportation is for marathon entrants and AWD guides only.
Official Transportation Options
Staten Island Ferry
Departure location: Whitehall Terminal, Manhattan
The Staten Island Ferry provides the simplest and most scenic official transportation option. Whitehall Terminal is accessible by public transportation from Manhattan locations. The ferry transports runners to the St. George Terminal on Staten Island, from which buses transport runners directly to the start.
Midtown Manhattan Bus
Departure location: New York Public Library, Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street
Official buses transport runners directly from Midtown Manhattan to the start.
New Jersey Bus
Departure location: Meadowlands Arena, Parking Lot 28, by IZOD Center
Departure time: 5:00–6:00 a.m.
Entrants who do not need official transportation to the marathon start should complete the application by selecting “I Do Not Need Official Transportation.”
Please note the following points about private vehicles and public transportation:
- Private vehicles coming to Staten Island through New Jersey must drop off their runner(s) and clear the Staten Island Expressway by 6:45 a.m. before the expressway closes to vehicular traffic
- Private vehicles, including charter buses, are not allowed into the staging area and are not guaranteed on-time arrival
- The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge will close to all traffic promptly at 7:00 a.m.
- Private vehicles are allowed for participant drop-offs only. There is no public parking near the start.
- The walk from the drop-off area to the staging area is approximately one half-mile
- Private vehicles will be directed to Lily Pond Avenue (outside Fort Wadsworth) and may not drive into the staging area or discharge passengers on the bridge plaza
- If you arrive in a private vehicle, you will have to show your race number and D-Tag in order to be permitted to walk to Fort Wadsworth
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the deadline for choosing official transportation?
The transportation selection deadline is 11:59 p.m. EDT on July 31, 2013. Transportation selection will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Each transportation option has a specific number of seats that, once filled, will no longer be available.
Is space limited for each transportation option?
Yes. However, any open spaces will be available at the Marathon Expo on a first-come, first-served basis.
Why can’t I see an option that my friend sees?
Each entrant's transportation options are designed to ensure on-time arrival at the start. If you and your friend see different options, you may have different start times, your friend may be affiliated with a specific sponsor or charity, or some transportation options may have filled since your friend checked.
I made my own arrangements for transportation to the start. Which option should I choose?
Select "I Do Need Not Transportation." This will let us know you have made your own arrangements. Once you choose this option, you will no longer receive e-mails from NYRR concerning transportation.
Note: Official ING New York City Marathon transportation to the race start and to the expo transportation are complimentary for registered race participants who make Anthony Travel reservations at the New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott or New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge. The bus will pick up race participants at the hotels and drop them off at the staging area prior to the race. There is no return transportation to the hotels. Guests must be listed as participants on their Anthony Travel reservations to qualify for this offer.