We want to update everyone on some news pertaining to the ING New York City Marathon for both 2012 and 2013. We know everyone has been waiting for a marathon update, and we’re happy to be able to provide some new information for this year’s marathon.
As you may know, we issued our 2012 Marathon Resolution Options in January. The response was very strong, and we want to thank you and share with you the results of the resolution, as well as information regarding the runners who NYRR will be able to accommodate in the 2013 ING New York City Marathon.
2012 Marathon Resolution
Our primary goal was to provide the widest range of choices possible so runners could pick the option that worked best for them. Across the entire field, approximately 50 percent of runners chose to receive a refund and about 50 percent chose to run the marathon in 2013, 2014, or 2015 or the NYC Half 2013.
2013 Marathon Registration
This year, NYRR is committed to returning the ING New York City Marathon to its familiar place as an uplifting celebration of our great city. Our priorities in determining the 2013 registration process include maintaining the important diversity of our entry categories: NYRR members and local runners; participants from around the nation and the world, reflecting the diversity and global nature of NYC; and people running for charity (with an emphasis on NYC-based charities). Based on the 2012 Resolution results, we are pleased to announce that in 2013, NYRR will be able to accommodate the following categories:
- 2012 Marathoners who chose Guaranteed Entry for 2013
- NYRR-member 9+1 qualifiers
- Time qualifiers who achieved the standard in NYRR qualifying events
- Those who have run 15 or more New York City marathons
- Those who have earned guaranteed entry after being denied three times previously
- Charity Partner Program participants
- Those who entered through an International Travel Partner
We regret that there will be limited availability for time qualifiers.
- The overall pool of time qualifiers will be capped at 2,000; time standards and the qualifying window are posted on our website
- Those who qualified during the window in an NYRR race (the 2013 Manhattan Half-Marathon, NYC Half 2012, 2012 Brooklyn Half-Marathon, 2012 Grete’s Great Gallop, 2012 More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women’s Half Marathon, or 2012 Staten Island Half-Marathon) will be guaranteed non-complimentary entry
- The remaining time-qualifier spots will be filled by a special random drawing; those not selected will be entered into the general marathon drawing. Specific details for applying will be posted on our website prior to the launch of the general Marathon application/registration.
General Marathon Registration and Drawing
The general marathon drawing has been an integral element of the marathon for decades, as it gives everyone who desires a chance to run. Because of the diversity of options chosen by 2012 runners, and given our commitment to ensure a wide pool of runners in 2013, we will be able to hold the drawing this year. Given the accommodation of 2012 marathoners in the 2013 field, the drawing is expected to be smaller than in years past. Given our field-size limits, the number of entrants drawn will depend on the number of guaranteed entrants.
Registration to apply for the 2013 marathon will be open from April 24 to May 24. The non-guaranteed entry drawing will be held shortly thereafter. Further details and terms and conditions will be available on the Marathon website (www.ingnycmarathon.org) when the application is posted. Please be aware that all guaranteed entrants will have to complete the marathon application between April 24 and May 24. We will communicate details of the application process in the coming weeks.
All of us at NYRR want to thank each and all of you for your support and commitment to running, to the Marathon, and to the City of New York. We look forward to welcoming our runners, the New York community, and millions of local spectators and worldwide broadcast viewers back to the ING New York City Marathon this year, as we seek to inspire people through running and make Marathon Day 2013 a great one.
If you have any questions at all, please contact NYRR customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yours in running,
President and CEO